Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The management of hypertension in Canada: a review of current guidelines, their shortcomings, and implications for the future.CMAJ. 2001; 164: 517-522
- Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study.Lancet. 2004; 364: 937-952
- Risk factors for ischaemic and intracerebral haemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control study.Lancet. 2010; 376: 112-123
- Hypertension—time to move on.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1108-1109
- Trends in cardiovascular health metrics and associations with all-cause and CVD mortality among US adults.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1273-1283
- The impact of prevention on reducing the burden of cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2008; 118: 576-585
- The American Heart Association and the Million Hearts Initiative: a presidential advisory from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 124: 1795-1799
- Effect of unrelated comorbid conditions on hypertension management.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 578-586
- Will hypertension performance measures used for pay-for-performance programs penalize those who care for medically complex patients?.Circulation. 2009; 119: 2978-2985
- Blood pressure in Canadian adults.Health Reports. 2010; 21: 37-46
Centers for Disease Control and Prevension. National Health and Nutrition Examination survey data. Hyattsville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm. Accessed December 2, 2011.
- Changes in hypertension awareness, treatment, and control rates in Canada over the past two decades.CMAJ. 2011; 183: 1007-1013
- Comparison between an automated and manual sphygmomanometer in a population survey.Am J Hypertens. 2008; 21: 280-283
- A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 461-470
- Definition and Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and Intermediate Hyperglycemia: Report of the WHO/IDF Consultation.WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland2006 (1-46)
- General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 743-753
- International prevalence, recognition, and treatment for cardiovascular risk factor in outpatients with atherothrombosis.JAMA. 2006; 295: 180-189
- Multiple cardiovascular disease risk factors in Canadian adults.CMAJ. 1992; 146: 2021-2029
- Contemporary practice patterns in the management of newly diagnosed hypertension.Can Med Assoc J. 1997; 157: 23-30
- Low risk-factor profile and long-term cardiovascular and noncardiovascular mortality and life expectancy: Findings for 5 large cohorts of young adult and middle-aged men and women.JAMA. 1999; 282: 2012-2018
- A retrospective analysis of the prevalence and treatment of hypertension and dyslipidemia in Southwestern Ontario, Canada.Clin Ther. 2008; 30: 1145-1154
- Antihypertensive drug therapy and blood pressure control in men and women: an international perspective.J Hum Hypertens. 2010; 24: 336-344
- Effect of cardiometabolic risk factors on hypertension management: a cross-sectional study among 28 physician practices in the United States.Cardiovasc Diabetology. 2010; 9: 7-11
- US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988-2008.JAMA. 2010; 303: 2043-2050
- High risk of cerebro-cardiovascular morbidity in well treated male hypertensives: a retrospective study of 40-59 year old hypertensives in a Swedish primary care district.Acta Med Scand. 1984; 216: 251-259
- Survival in treated hypertension: follow up study after two decades.BMJ. 1998; 317: 167-171
- Risk profiles and prognosis of treated and untreated hypertensive men and women in a population-based longitudinal study: the Reykavik Study.J Hum Hypertension. 2004; 18: 615-622
- High blood pressure and cardiovascular disease mortality risk among US adults: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey mortality follow-up study.Ann Epidemiol. 2008; 18: 302-309
- Why cardiovascular mortality is higher in treated hypertensives versus subjects of the same age, in the general population.J Hypertens. 2003; 21: 1635-1640
- Trends in risk factors for cardiovascular disease in Canada: temporal, socio-demographic and geographic factors.CMAJ. 2009; 181: e55-e66
- Management of hypertension in elderly long-term-care residents.Can J Cardiol. 2008; 24: 912-915
- Screening for cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic patients.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1169-1177
- Status of cardiovascular health in US adults: Prevalence estimates from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2008.Circulation. 2012; 125: 45-56
- Low prevalence of “ideal cardiovascular health” in a community-based population: the Heart Strategies Concentrating on Risk Evaluation (Heart Score) study.Circulation. 2011; 123: 850-857
- The 2012 Canadian hypertension education program recommendations for the management of hypertension: blood pressure measurement, diagnosis, assessment of risk, and therapy.Can J Cardiol. 2012; 28: 270-287
See editorial by Tobe and Liu, pages 526-527 of this issue.
See page 604 for disclosure information.