Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. 2004. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/jnc7full.htm. Accessed March 3, 2014.
Statistics Canada: Health Statistics Divison. Mortality, Summary List of Causes. 2009. Available at: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/84f0209x/84f0209x2009000-eng.pdf. Accessed March 3, 2014.
Statistics Canada. High Blood Pressure 2010. Available at: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-625-x/2011001/article/11463-eng.htm. Accessed: February 17, 2014.
National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2012: With Special Feature on Emergency Care. Hyattsville, MD, National Center for Health Statistics (US); 2013 May. Report No.: 213-1232.
- Prospective Studies Collaboration. Age-specific relevance of usual blood pressure to vascular mortality: a meta-analysis of individual data for one million adults in 61 prospective studies.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1903-1913
World Health Organization. Global Health Risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. 2009. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GlobalHealthRisks_report_full.pdf. Accessed March 3, 2014.
- Diagnosed hypertension in Canada: incidence, prevalence and associated mortality.CMAJ. 2012; 184: 49-56
- Considerations in women with hypertension.South Med J. 2013; 106: 434-438
- Hypertension in women of reproductive age in the United States: NHANES 1999-2008.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e36171
- Coronary heart disease mortality among young adults in the U.S. from 1980 through 2002: concealed leveling of mortality rates.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 2128-2132
- Blood pressure through aging and menopause.Climacteric. 2009; 12: 36-40
- Gender difference in blood pressure control and cardiovascular risk factors in Americans with diagnosed hypertension.Hypertension. 2008; 51: 1142-1148
- Incidence of hypertension and stroke in relation to body fat distribution and other risk factors in older women.Stroke. 1990; 21: 701-706
- Prediction of incident hypertension risk in women with currently normal blood pressure.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 464-471
- Associations of cardiovascular risk factors with prehypertension and hypertension in women. 21. Blood Press, 2012: 345-351
- Diet and lifestyle risk factors associated with incident hypertension in women.JAMA. 2009; 302: 401-411
- Premenopausal women have increased risk of hypertensive target organ damage compared with men of similar age.J Womens Health. 2011; 20: 1175-1181
- Closing the gap: treating hypertension in women.Cardiol Rev. 2008; 16: 305-313
- Sex-specific cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in a cohort treated for hypertension.J Hypertens. 2006; 24: 1523-1529
- DASH Collaborative Research Group. A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Risk factors associated with newly diagnosed high blood pressure in men and women.Am J Hypertens. 2008; 21: 771-777
- Physical activity in young adults and incident hypertension over 15 years of follow-up: the CARDIA study.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 703-709
- The effects of nonpharmacologic interventions on blood pressure of persons with high normal levels: results of the Trials of Hypertension Prevention, Phase I.JAMA. 1992; 267: 1213-1220
- Heart Health for Canadians: The Definitive Guide.HarperCollins Canada, Toronto2013: 65-102
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute: Health Information Network. 5 steps to a healthy weight. Available at: http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/joinhin/news/consumer/ConsumerWtLossReality.htm. Accessed: January 26, 2014.
- Folate intake and the risk of incident hypertension among US women.JAMA. 2005; 293: 320-329
- Management of prehypertension.Hypertension. 2005; 45: 1056-1061
- Effect of longer term modest salt reduction on blood pressure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials.BMJ. 2013; 346: f1325
- Effects of alcohol reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Hypertension. 2001; 38: 1112-1117
- Novel mechanisms responsible for postmenopausal hypertension.Hypertension. 2004; 43: 918-923
- Effects of estrogen replacement therapy on the renin-angiotensin system in postmenopausal women.Circulation. 1997; 95: 39-45
- RAS inhibition in hypertension.J Hum Hypertens. 2006; 20: 101-108
- [Changes in the level of endothelin-1 with aging].Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi. 1995; 32: 664-669
- Hypertension in postmenopausal women.Curr Hypertens Rep. 2012; 14: 254-260
- Induction of calcium-dependent nitric oxide synthases by sex hormones.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994; 91: 5212-5216
- Renin polymorphisms and haplotypes are associated with blood pressure levels and hypertension risk in postmenopausal women.J Hypertens. 2008; 26: 230-237
- Risk factors for cardiovascular disease in women: relationship to lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress.Med Hypotheses. 2008; 71: 39-44
- Sympathetic nervous system and insulin resistance: from obesity to diabetes.Am J Hypertens. 2001; 14: 304-309
- Diet, obesity and hypertension: an hypothesis involving insulin, the sympathetic nervous system, and adaptive thermogenesis.Q J Med. 1986; 61: 1081-1090
- Ethinylestradiol/drospirenone: a review of its use as an oral contraceptive.Treat Endocrinol. 2003; 2: 49-70
- Hypertension in women: Part I.J Clin Hypertens. 2008; 10: 406-410
- Pre-eclampsia and risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer in later life: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2007; 335: 974
- Risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2011; 343: d6309
- Excess stroke among hypertensive men and women attributable to undertreatment of hypertension.Stroke. 1999; 30: 1312-1318
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension among United States adults 1999-2004.Hypertension. 2007; 49: 69-75
- The difference in hypertension control between older men and women.Health Rep. 2012; 23: 33-40
- Lessons learned from a survey of the diagnosis and treatment journeys of postmenopausal women with hypertension.J Clin Hypertens. 2013; 15: 532-541
- Women and hypertension: what did we learn from the Women's Health Initiative?.Cardiol Rev. 2006; 14: 267-275
- 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8).JAMA. 2014; 311: 507-520
- American Heart Association. Tracking women's awareness of heart disease: an American Heart Association national study.Circulation. 2004; 109: 573-579
See page 557 for disclosure information.