Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Health Canada. Canada’s Food Guide. Available at: www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/choose-choix/meat-viande/index-eng.php. Accessed July 30, 2013.
- Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006. A scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee.Circulation. 2006; 114: 82-96
- European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (version 2012). The Fifth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of nine societies and by invited experts).Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 1635-1701
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. MI: secondary prevention. Secondary prevention in primary and secondary care for patients following a myocardial infarction. Available at: www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG48NICEGuidance.pdf. Accessed July 30, 2013.
- Association between omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and risk of major cardiovascular disease events: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1024-1033
- Omega 3 fatty acids for prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; : CD003177
- n-3 Fatty acids and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with dysglycemia.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 309-318
- Taurine in health and diseases: consistent evidence from experimental and epidemiological studies.J Biomed Sci. 2010; 17: S6
- Plasma lipid and lipoprotein pattern in Greenlandic West-Coast Eskimos.Lancet. 1971; 1: 1143-1145
- Plasma lipids and lipoproteins in Greenlandic West Coast Eskimos.Acta Med Scand. 1972; 192: 85-94
- Fatty acid composition of the plasma lipids in Greenland Eskimos.Am J Clin Nutr. 1975; 28: 958-966
- The composition of food consumed by Greenland Eskimos.Acta Med Scand. 1976; 200: 69-73
- Omega-3 fatty acids: their beneficial role in cardiovascular health.Can Fam Physician. 2006; 52 ([erratum in 2006;52:952]): 734-740
- Accumulated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality: a meta-analysis of cohort studies.Circulation. 2004; 109: 2705-2711
- The role of omega-3 fatty acids in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease.QJM. 2003; 96: 465-480
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and cardiovascular disease.J Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 2525-2545
- Fish and n-3 fatty acids for the prevention of fatal coronary heart disease and sudden cardiac death.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1991S-1996S
- Antiatherogenic effects of n-3 fatty acids - evidence and mechanisms.Heart Int. 2006; 2: 141
- Role of n-3 fatty acids in the treatment of hypertriglyceridemia and cardiovascular disease.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1981S-1990S
Bertelsen A. Medical statistics and nosography in Greenland: the usual disease pattern in Greenland [Grønlandsk medicinsk statistik og nosografi: det sædvanlige grønlandske sygdomsbillede]. Meddelelser om Grønland 1940;117(3).
- Low incidence of cardiovascular disease among the Inuit – what is the evidence?.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 166: 351-357
- Cardiovascular burden and related risk factors among Nunavik (Quebec) Inuit: insights from baseline findings in the circumpolar Inuit Health in Transition cohort study.Can J Cardiol. 2010; 26: e190-e196
- Cardiovascular disease prevalence and its relation to risk factors in Alaska Eskimos.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010; 20: 350-358
- Eicosapentaenoic acid and prevention of thrombosis and atherosclerosis?.Lancet. 1978; 2: 117-119
- The composition of the Eskimo food in north western Greenland.Am J Clin Nutr. 1980; 33: 2657-2661
- Lipid metabolism and ischemic heart disease in Greenland Eskimos.in: Draper H.H. Advances in Nutritional Research. Springer Science and Business Media, New York1980: 1-22
Annual Report from the Chief Medical Officer in Greenland, 1963-1967.
- High prevalence of markers of coronary heart disease among Greenland Inuit.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 196: 772-778
- Cardiovascular diseases in a Canadian arctic population.Am J Public Health. 1993; 83: 881-887
- Eskimos have CHD despite high consumption of omega-3 fatty acids: the Alaska Siberia project.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2005; 64: 387-395
- Cardiovascular disease and risk factors in three Alaskan Eskimo populations: the Alaska-Siberia project.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2005; 64: 365-386
- Alaska native mortality, 1979-1998.Public Health Rep. 2003; 118: 518-530
- Cardiac mortality in Alaska’s indigenous and non-native residents.Int J Epidemiol. 1993; 22: 62-71
- Changing patterns of risk factors and mortality for coronary heart disease among Alaska natives, 1979-2002.JAMA. 2004; 291: 2545-2546
- Cardiovascular deaths among Alaskan natives, 1980-86.Am J Public Health. 1990; 80: 282-285
- Factors related to fruit, vegetable and traditional food consumption which may affect health among Alaska native people in western Alaska.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2012; 71: 17345
- N-3 fatty acids as a risk factor for haemorrhagic stroke.Lancet. 1999; 353: 812-813
- Mortality from ischaemic heart disease and cerebrovascular disease in Greenland.Int J Epidemiol. 1988; 17: 514-519
Wilkins R, Uppal S, Finès P, et al. Life expectancy in the Inuit-inhabited areas of Canada, 1989 to 2003. Ottawa: Statistics Canada, 2008. Catalogue no. 82-003-X Health Reports.
Inuit Circumpolar Council Canada. Health Systems Serving Inuit Communities Across the Arctic. For Health Canada (Northern Region). Ottawa: Inuit Circumpolar Council Canada, 2011.
The state of health in Greenland: annual reports from the chief medical officer in Greenland for 1973-76. Nuuk/Godthåb: The Ministry of Greenland, 1978.
- The validity of the mortality statistics in Greenland with special reference to ischaemic heart disease.Arct Med Res. 1984; 38: 43-45
- Validity of Greenland mortality statistics.Arctic Med Res. 1986; 42: 18-24
- Coronary heart disease in Greenland.Nordic Council for Arctic Medical Research Report. 1974; 7: 36-39
- Epidemiological studies in Upernavik district.Greenland. Acta Med Scand. 1980; 208: 401-406
- Third International Symposium on Circumpolar Health.UgeskrLaeg. 1974; 136 ([in Danish]): 2461-2462
- Unrecognized myocardial infarction.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 801-811
- Coronary health promotion.in: Manson J.E. Ridker P.M. Gaziano J.M. Hennekens C.H. Prevention of Myocardial Infarction. Oxford University Press, New York1996: 94
- Acute myocardial infarction: pre-hospital and in-hospital management. The Task Force on the Management of Acute Myocardial Infarction of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur Heart J. 1996; 17: 43-63
- Dietary patterns are linked to cardiovascular risk factors but not to inflammatory markers in Alaska Eskimos.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 2322-2328
- N-3 fatty acids in cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2439-2450
- Fish oil and marine omega-3 fatty acids.in: Fletcher R.H. UpToDate. UpToDate, Waltham, MA2014
- Efficacy of omega-3 fatty acid supplements (eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid) in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 686-694
American Heart Association. The American Heart Association's diet and lifestyle recommendations. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp. Accessed February 21, 2014.
- 2013 European Society of Hypertension/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (European Society of Hypertension) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).J Hypertens. 2013; 31: 1281-1357
US Department of Health & Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). Omega-3 supplements: an introduction. Available at: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/omega3/introduction.htm. Accessed February 23, 2014.
See page 867 for disclosure information.