Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Statistics Canada. CANSIM Table 102-0529 Deaths, by cause, Chapter IX: diseases of the circulatory system (I00 to I99), age group and sex, Canada. Available at: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/pick-choisir?lang=eng&p2=33&id=1020529. Accessed February 3, 2014.
Statistics Canada. CANSIM Table 102-0551 Deaths and mortality rate, by selected grouped causes, age group and sex, Canada. Available at: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/pick-choisir?lang=eng&id=1020551&pattern=1020551&searchTypeByValue=1. Accessed February 3, 2014.
- Why is diabetes mellitus a stronger risk factor for fatal ischemic heart disease in women than in men? The Rancho Bernardo Study.JAMA. 1991; 265: 627-631
- Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study.Lancet. 2004; 364: 937-953
- Red alert for women's health: the urgent need for more research and knowledge on cardiovascular disease in women. Proceedings of the workshop held in Brussels on Gender Differences in Cardiovascular disease, 29 September 2010.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 1362-1368
- The evaluation of chest pain in women.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 1311-1315
- Eliminating untimely deaths of women from heart disease: highlights from the Minnesota Women's Heart Summit.Am Heart J. 2012; 163: 39-48
- Association of age and sex with myocardial infaction symptom presentation and in-hospital mortality.JAMA. 2012; 307: 813-822
- Heart failure in women: epidemiology, biology and treatment.Womens Health. 2009; 5: 517-527
- Coronary artery disease in women: a 2013 update.Global Heart. 2013; 8: 105-112
- Cardiovascular disease in women.Circulation. 1997; 96: 2468-2482
- Thirty-day in-hospital revascularization and mortality rates after acute myocardial infarction in seven Canadian provinces.Can J Cardiol. 2010; 26: e243-e248
- Myocardial ischemia in women—lessons from the NHLBI Study.Clin Cardiol. 2012; 35: 141-148
- Insights from the NHLBI-sponsored Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE) Study. Part I: gender differences in traditional and novel risk factors, symptom evaluation, and gender-optimized diagnostic strategies.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 47: 4S-20S
- Cardiovascular diseases in women: a statement from the policy conference of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 994-1005
- Women's heart health series: a mini-symposium.Med Sci Monit. 2003; 9: RA123-RA130
- The difference in hypertension control between older men and women.Health Rep. 2012; 23: 33-40
- Tracking women's awareness of heart disease: an American Heart Association national study.Circulation. 2004; 109: 573-579
- National study of women's awareness, action, and barriers to cardiovascular health.Circulation. 2006; 113: 525-534
- Fifteen-year trends in awareness of heart disease in women: results of a 2012 American Heart Association national survey.Circulation. 2013; 127 (e1-29): 1254-1263
Census of Canada. Available at: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/12-002-x/2012001/article/11642-eng.htm. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Effectiveness-based guidelines for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in women 2011 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1243-1262
- Women and heart disease: symptoms and treatment guidelines.Nurse Pract. 2011; 36: 22-27
National Cholesterol Education Program, Program description: the NCEP science base. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/about/ncep/ncep_pd.htm. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- Historical origins of the health belief model.Health Education Monographs. 1974; 2: 328-333
- Perceptions of cardiac risk factors and risk-reduction behavior in women with known coronary heart disease.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2010; 25: 433-443
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases in general practice: mismatch between cardiovascular risk and patients' risk perceptions.Med Decis Making. 2007; 27: 754-761
- Managing cardiovascular risk: reality vs. perception.Eur Heart J. 2005; 7: L11-L15
Heart and Stroke Foundation. The heart truth. Available at: http://thehearttruth.ca. Accessed March 2, 2014.
See page 833 for disclosure information.