Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnoses and timing of 30-day readmissions after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia.JAMA. 2013; 309: 355-363
- Trajectories of risk after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia: retrospective cohort study.BMJ. 2015; 350: h411
- All-cause readmission to acute care and return to the emergency department.June 14, 2012 (Available at:)Accessed November 22, 2015)
Canadian Institute for Health Information. Health indicators interactive tool. Available at: http://yourhealthsystem.cihi.ca/epub/. Accessed November 22, 2015.
- Determinants of early readmission after hospitalization for heart failure.Can J Cardiol. 2014; 30: 612-618
- A roadmap for comparing readmission policies with application to Denmark, England, Germany and the United States.Health policy. 2015; 119: 264-273
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Hospital Compare. Available at: https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html. Accessed November 23, 2015.
- Hospital readmissions and the Affordable Care Act: paying for coordinated quality care.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1794-1795
- Strategies to reduce 30-day readmissions in older patients hospitalized with heart failure and acute myocardial infarction.Curr Geriatr Rep. 2014; 3: 306-315
- What distinguishes top-performing hospitals in acute myocardial infarction mortality rates? A qualitative study.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154: 384-390
- AHA/ACC/HHS strategies to enhance application of clinical practice guidelines in patients with cardiovascular disease and comorbid conditions: from the American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, and US Department of Health and Human Services.Circulation. 2014; 130: 1662-1667
- Cognitive impairment in older adults with heart failure: prevalence, documentation, and impact on outcomes.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 120-126
- Geriatric conditions in heart failure.Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep. 2012; 6: 404-410
- Geriatric conditions and subsequent mortality in older patients with heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 309-316
- Mini-cog performance: novel marker of post discharge risk among patients hospitalized for heart failure.Circ Heart Fail. 2015; 8: 8-16
- Measuring frailty in heart failure: a community perspective.Am Heart J. 2013; 166: 768-774
- Frailty is independently associated with short-term outcomes for elderly patients with non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2397-2404
- Cognitive impairment associated with atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 338-346
- Increased risk of cognitive and functional decline in patients with atrial fibrillation: results of the ONTARGET and TRANSCEND studies.CMAJ. 2012; 184: E329-E336
- Risk factors for hospital admission among older persons with newly diagnosed heart failure: findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 635-642
Komisar H, Cubanski J, Dawson L, Neuman T. Key issues in understanding the economic and health security of current and future generations of seniors. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Available at: https://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/8289.pdf. Accessed November 23, 2015.
Cubanski J, Casillas G, Damico A. Poverty among seniors: an updated analysis of national and state level poverty rates under the official and supplemental policy measures. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Available at: http://files.kff.org/attachment/issue-brief-poverty-among-seniors-an-updated-analysis-of-national-and-state-level-poverty-rates-under-the-official-and-supplemental-poverty-measures. Accessed November 23, 2015.
- Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and women.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 5797-5801
- Geriatric impairments and disability: the cardiovascular health study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1686-1692
- Hospitalizations after heart failure diagnosis: a community perspective.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: 1695-1702
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 722-727
- Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2864-2870
- Telemonitoring in patients with heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2301-2309
- Impact of remote telemedical management on mortality and hospitalizations in ambulatory patients with chronic heart failure: the telemedical interventional monitoring in heart failure study.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1873-1880
- Interventions to reduce 30-day rehospitalization: a systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 520-528
- What works in chronic care management: the case of heart failure.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: 179-189
- Public reporting on hospital process improvements is linked to better patient outcomes.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 1319-1324
- Hospital performance measures and 30-day readmission rates.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 377-385
- Standard versus atrial fibrillation-specific management strategy (SAFETY) to reduce recurrent admission and prolong survival: pragmatic, multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 775-784
- Association between hospital process performance and outcomes among patients with acute coronary syndromes.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1912-1920
- Relation between door-to-balloon times and mortality after primary percutaneous coronary intervention over time: a retrospective study.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1114-1122
- Hospital strategies associated with 30-day readmission rates for patients with heart failure.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013; 6: 444-450
- National survey of hospital strategies to reduce heart failure readmissions: findings from the Get With the Guidelines-Heart Failure registry.Circ Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 680-687
- Identifying keys to success in reducing readmissions using the ideal transitions in care framework.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 423
- A multidisciplinary intervention to prevent the readmission of elderly patients with congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1190-1195
- Comprehensive discharge planning for the hospitalized elderly. A randomized clinical trial.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 120: 999-1006
- The care transitions intervention: results of a randomized controlled trial.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1822-1828
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428
Society of Hospital Medicine. Project BOOST Mentored Implementation Program. Available at: http://www.hospitalmedicine.org/Web/Quality___Innovation/Mentored_Implementation/Project_BOOST/Project_BOOST.aspx. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- Transitional care interventions to prevent readmissions for persons with heart failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 774-784
- Relationship between early physician follow-up and 30-day readmission among Medicare beneficiaries hospitalized for heart failure.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1716-1722
- Association of early physician follow-up and 30-day readmission after non-ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction among older patients.Circulation. 2013; 128: 1206-1213
- Transitional care of older adults hospitalized with heart failure: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 675-684
- Epidemiology of the homebound population in the United States.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1180-1186
- Home environment risk factors for falls in older people and the efficacy of home modifications.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: ii55-ii59
Strickhouser S, Wright JD, Donley AM. AARP Foundation. Food insecurity among older adults, full report, 2015 update. Available at: http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/aarp_foundation/2015-PDFs/AF-Food-Insecurity-2015Update-Final-Report.pdf. Accessed on November 23, 2015.
- Nurses' observations and experiences of problems and adverse effects of medication management in home care.Geriatr Nurs. 2004; 25: 164-170
- Noise and sleep among adult medical inpatients: far from a quiet night.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 68-70
- Incidence and characteristics of pain in a sample of medical-surgical inpatients.Pain. 1987; 30: 69-78
- Protein-energy undernutrition among elderly hospitalized patients: a prospective study.JAMA. 1999; 281: 2013-2019
- Effect of 10 days of bed rest on skeletal muscle in healthy older adults.JAMA. 2007; 297: 1772-1774
- Impact of sleep and its disturbances on hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis activity.Int J Endocrinol. 2010; 2010: 759234
- Food anticipation and subsequent food withdrawal increase serum cortisol in healthy men.Physiol Behav. 2011; 103: 594-599
- The brain on stress: vulnerability and plasticity of the prefrontal cortex over the life course.Neuron. 2013; 79: 16-29
- Neuroendocrine and cytokine profile of chronic mild stress-induced anhedonia.Physiol Behav. 2005; 84: 697-706
- Stress- and allostasis-induced brain plasticity.Annu Rev Med. 2011; 62: 431-445
- Acute sleep deprivation is associated with increased arterial stiffness in healthy young adults.Sleep Breath. 2014; 18: 215-220
- Chronic variable stress activates hematopoietic stem cells.Nat Med. 2014; 20: 754-758
- Unpredictable chronic mild stress promotes atherosclerosis in high cholesterol-fed rabbits.Psychosom Med. 2012; 74: 604-611
- Restraint stress differentially affects anti-viral cellular and humoral immune responses in mice.J Neuroimmunol. 1991; 31: 245-255
- Reducing the trauma of hospitalization.JAMA. 2014; 311: 2169-2170
- The Hospital Elder Life Program: a model of care to prevent cognitive and functional decline in older hospitalized patients. Hospital Elder Life Program.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 1697-1706
- A multicomponent intervention to prevent delirium in hospitalized older patients.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 669-676
- Replicating the Hospital Elder Life Program in a community hospital and demonstrating effectiveness using quality improvement methodology.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 969-974
- Balloon animals, guitars, and fewer blood draws: applying strategies from pediatrics to the treatment of hospitalized adults.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 726-727
- Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for heart failure: a systematic review.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1371-1386
- Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009; 2: 500-507
- Impact of social factors on risk of readmission or mortality in pneumonia and heart failure: systematic review.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 269-282
- Risk prediction models for hospital readmission: a systematic review.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1688-1698
- An automated model to identify heart failure patients at risk for 30-day readmission or death using electronic medical record data.Med Care. 2010; 48: 981-988
- Prediction of heart failure mortality in emergent care: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156 (W-261, W-262): 767-775
- A prediction rule to identify low-risk patients with community-acquired pneumonia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 243-250
- An administrative claims measure suitable for profiling hospital performance on the basis of 30-day all-cause readmission rates among patients with heart failure.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2008; 1: 29-37
- An administrative claims measure suitable for profiling hospital performance based on 30-day all-cause readmission rates among patients with acute myocardial infarction.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011; 4: 243-252
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Partnership for patients. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/Partnership-for-Patients/index.html. Accessed November 23, 2015.
- Statement on delivery system reform: progress report from CMS to Senate Committee on Finance.February 28, 2013 (Available at:)http://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/CMS Delivery System Reform Testimony 2.28.13 (J. Blum).pdf(Accessed November 23, 2015)
- Indicators of quality of care for patients with acute myocardial infarction.CMAJ. 2008; 179: 909-915
Canadian Cardiovascular Society. The Canadian Cardiovascular Society Quality Indicators E-Catalogue. Quality Indicators for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Available at: http://www.ccs.ca/images/Health_Policy/Quality-Project/Indicator_PCI_V2.pdf. Accessed November 24, 2015.
Canadian Cardiovascular Society. The Canadian Cardiovascular Society Quality Indicators E-Catalogue. Quality Indicators for Cardiac Surgery. Available at: http://www.ccs.ca/download/2014/CCS_CS_QI_FINAL.PDF. Accessed November 24, 2015.
Cardiac Care Network. Strategy for community management of heart failure in Ontario. Available at: http://www.ccn.on.ca/ccn_public/uploadfiles/files/Strategy_for_Community_Mgmt_in_HF_in_ON.pdf. Accessed December 31, 2015.
- Hospital strategy uptake and reductions in unplanned readmission rates for patients with heart failure: a prospective study.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: 605-611
- Integrating new practices: a qualitative study of how hospital innovations become routine.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 168
See page 1312 for disclosure information.