Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Canadian Journal of Cardiology
- Wikipedia. To Tell the Truth.(Available at:)
- To Tell the Truth: Dr. Seuss.(Available at:)
- Implementing frailty measures in the Canadian healthcare system.J Frailty Aging. 2018; 7: 208-216
- Frailty as a risk predictor in cardiac surgery: beyond the eyeball test.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 1905-1909
- Cardiovascular care of older adults.BMJ. 2021; 374: n1593
- Predicting heart failure mortality in frail seniors: comparing the NYHA functional classification with the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) 2.0.Int J Cardiol. 2012; 155: 75-80
- Frailty is to predictive as Jello is to wall.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 156: 177
- Frailty assessment instruments: systematic characterization of the uses and contexts of highly-cited instruments.Ageing Res Rev. 2016; 26: 53-61
- Cardiac rehabilitation: are we missing an important means to defrail and reverse adverse consequences of aging?.Can J Cardiol. 2020; 36: 457-458
- Association between cardiac rehabilitation and frailty.Can J Cardiol. 2020; 36: 482-489
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of frailty assessment in older patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery.Can J Cardiol. 2020; 36: 490-499
- The evolution of the master diagnostician.JAMA. 2013; 310: 579-580
- Management of frailty: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20: 1190-1198
- Prevalence of frailty in 62 countries across the world: a systematic review and meta-analysis of population-level studies.Age Ageing. 2021; 50: 96-104
- Prognostic value of handgrip strength in older adults undergoing cardiac surgery.Can J Cardiol. 2021; 37: 1760-1766
- Interrater reliability of the Clinical Frailty Scale by geriatrician and intensivist in patients admitted to the intensive care unit.Can Geriatr J. 2020; 23: 235-241
- A classification tree to assist with routine scoring of the Clinical Frailty Scale.Age Ageing. 2021; 50: 1406-1411
- Reversibility of frailty after bridge-to-transplant ventricular assist device implantation or heart transplantation.Transplant Direct. 2017; 3: e167
- A standard procedure for creating a frailty index.BMC Geriatr. 2008; 8: 24
- The prevalence and health consequences of frailty in a population-based older home care cohort: a comparison of different measures.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16: 133
- Treatment of hypertension in patients 80 years of age or older.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 1887-1898
- No evidence that frailty modifies the positive impact of antihypertensive treatment in very elderly people: an investigation of the impact of frailty upon treatment effect in the Hypertension in the Very Elderly Trial (HYVET) study, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of antihypertensives in people with hypertension aged 80 and over.BMC Med. 2015; 13: 78
SPRINT Research Group; Wright JT Jr, Williamson JD, Whelton PK, et al. A randomized trial of intensive versus standard blood-pressure control. N Engl J Med 2015;373:2103-2116. Erratum: N Engl J Med 2017;377:2506.
- Characterizing frailty status in the systolic blood pressure intervention trial.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 71: 649-655
- Blood pressure targets for older patients-do advanced age and frailty really not matter?.Can Geriatr J. 2020; 23: 205-209
- Injurious falls and syncope in older community-dwelling adults meeting inclusion criteria for SPRINT.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1385-1387
- A call for collaboration: improving cardiogeriatric care.Can J Cardiol. 2016; 32: 1041-1044
See article by Fountotos et al.,pages 1760–1766of this issue.
See page 1703 for disclosure information.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Prognostic Value of Handgrip Strength in Older Adults Undergoing Cardiac SurgeryCanadian Journal of CardiologyVol. 37Issue 11
- PreviewAlthough multidimensional frailty scales have been proven to predict mortality and morbidity in cardiac surgery, there is a need for rapid tools that could be easily administered at the point of care. Handgrip strength (HGS) is an attractive option that can be measured in acutely ill and bed-bound patients, although it has yet to be validated in a large cardiac surgery cohort.