In June 2012, Tyler Schwering, a 15-year-old from Guelph, Ontario, died after being struck by a tractor trailer while walking home from school. Even though they had not discussed organ donation, Tyler’s mother, Kim LeBlanc, described the family’s decision to donate Tyler’s organs as something he would have wanted. Dave Allingham, near death from a genetic heart disease, received Tyler’s heart the following day.
- Rogers K.
How the heart of a Guelph teen saved a dad from Ancaster.
CBC News, February 6, 2014
Date accessed: October 14, 2021
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Canadian Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- How the heart of a Guelph teen saved a dad from Ancaster.CBC News, February 6, 2014 (Available at)https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/how-the-heart-of-a-guelph-teen-saved-a-dad-from-ancaster-1.2521808Date accessed: October 14, 2021
- Organ donation in Canada. Library of Parliament.(April 16, 2021. Available at)https://hillnotes.ca/2021/04/16/organ-donation-in-canada-2/sDate accessed: December 17, 2021
- An exploration of the relationship between families of deceased organ donors and transplant recipients: a systematic review and qualitative synthesis.Health Psychol Open. 2018; 5: 1-25
- Canadian society of transplantation members' views on anonymity in organ donation and transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2015; 47: 2799-2804
- Legislative proposal in Italy to facilitate contacts between deceased organ donor families and transplant recipients.J Nephrol. 2020; 33: 1333-1342
Published online: April 20, 2022
Accepted: January 8, 2022
Received: October 29, 2021
See page 704 for disclosure information.
© 2022 Canadian Cardiovascular Society. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.