Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Atrial fibrillation and risks of cardiovascular disease, renal disease, and death: systematic review and meta-analysis.Bmj. 2016; 354: i4482
- Causes of Death and Influencing Factors in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 1278-1287
- Epidemiology of Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Failure: A Growing and Important Problem.Cardiol Clin. 2019; 37: 119-129
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy in patients with permanent atrial fibrillation: results from the Resynchronization for Ambulatory Heart Failure Trial (RAFT).Circ Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 566-570
- Extending the boundaries of cardiac resynchronization therapy: efficacy in atrial fibrillation, New York heart association class II, and narrow QRS heart failure patients.J Card Fail. 2010; 16: 432-438
- Beta-blockers for heart failure with reduced, mid-range, and preserved ejection fraction: an individual patient-level analysis of double-blind randomized trials.European heart journal. 2018; 39: 26-35
- Efficacy of β blockers in patients with heart failure plus atrial fibrillation: an individual-patient data meta-analysis.Lancet. 2014; 384: 2235-2243
- Mechanisms of Cardiovascular Benefits of Sodium Glucose Co-Transporter 2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors: A State-of-the-Art Review.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2020; 5: 632-644
- Empagliflozin, Cardiovascular Outcomes, and Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes.The New England journal of medicine. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Dapagliflozin and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes.The New England journal of medicine. 2019; 380: 347-357
- Canagliflozin and Cardiovascular and Renal Events in Type 2 Diabetes.The New England journal of medicine. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Dapagliflozin in Patients with Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction.The New England journal of medicine. 2019; 381: 1995-2008
- Cardiovascular and Renal Outcomes with Empagliflozin in Heart Failure.The New England journal of medicine. 2020; 383: 1413-1424
- Empagliflozin in Heart Failure with a Preserved Ejection Fraction.The New England journal of medicine. 2021;
- Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation.The New England journal of medicine. 2009; 361: 1139-1151
- Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the Atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel Trial with Irbesartan for prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1903-1912
- Canagliflozin and Renal Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes and Nephropathy.The New England journal of medicine. 2019; 380: 2295-2306
- Dapagliflozin in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease.The New England journal of medicine. 2020; 383: 1436-1446
- Causes of Death in Anticoagulated Patients With Atrial Fibrillation.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016; 68: 2508-2521
USFDA Empagliflozin label. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/204629s026lbl.pdf.
USFDA Dapagliflozin label. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/202293s024lbl.pdf.
USFDA Canagliflozin label. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/204042s036lbl.pdf.
Health Canada Empagliflozin label. https://pdf.hres.ca/dpd_pm/00063412.PDF.
Health Canada Dapagliflozin label. https://pdf.hres.ca/dpd_pm/00062416.PDF.
Health Canada Canagliflozin label. https://pdf.hres.ca/dpd_pm/00058900.PDF.
- Atrial Fibrillation Begets Heart Failure and Vice Versa: Temporal Associations and Differences in Preserved Versus Reduced Ejection Fraction.Circulation. 2016; 133: 484-492
- Early Rhythm-Control Therapy in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation.The New England journal of medicine. 2020; 383: 1305-1316
- Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter Inhibitors and Atrial Fibrillation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e022222
- Management of Atrial Fibrillation in 2021: An Updated Comparison of the Current CCS/CHRS, ESC, and AHA/ACC/HRS Guidelines.The Canadian journal of cardiology. 2021; 37: 1607-1618
- The 2020 Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Comprehensive Guidelines for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation.The Canadian journal of cardiology. 2020; 36: 1847-1948
January CT, Wann LS, Calkins H, et al. 2019 AHA/ACC/HRS Focused Update of the 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS Guideline for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society in Collaboration With the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Circulation. 2019;140:e125-e151.
Hindricks G, Potpara T, Dagres N, et al. 2020 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS): The Task Force for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA) of the ESC. European heart journal. 2021;42:373-498.
- Efficacy of empagliflozin on heart failure and renal outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation: data from the EMPA-REG OUTCOME trial.Eur J Heart Fail. 2020; 22: 126-135
- Direct Effects of Empagliflozin on Extracellular Matrix Remodelling in Human Cardiac Myofibroblasts: Novel Translational Clues to Explain EMPA-REG OUTCOME Results.The Canadian journal of cardiology. 2020; 36: 543-553
Dai H, Zhang Q, Much AA, et al. Global, regional, and national prevalence, incidence, mortality, and risk factors for atrial fibrillation, 1990-2017: results from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Eur Heart J Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2020.
- Global epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: An increasing epidemic and public health challenge.Int J Stroke. 2021; 16: 217-221
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Sources: None
Disclosures:Dr. Healey is supported by the Population Health Research Institute Stuart Connolly Chair in Cardiology Research at McMaster University; has received research grants from St. Jude Medical, Boehringer Ingelheim, Medtronic, Bristol-Myers Squibb/Pfizer, and Boston Scientific; and speaking fees from St. Jude Medical, Boston Scientific, and Medtronic, outside the submitted work. Dr. Wong holds a McMaster University Department of Medicine Early-Career Research Award, outside the submitted work. Dr. Conen reports consultancy fees from Roche Diagnostics; speaker fees from BMS/Pfizer and Servier, outside the submitted work. Dr. Gerstein holds the McMaster-Sanofi Population Health Institute Chair in Diabetes Research and Care. He reports research grants from Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca, Merck, Novo Nordisk and Sanofi; honoraria for speaking from Boehringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, DKSH, and Zuellig; and consulting fees from Abbott, Covance, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, Pfizer, Kowa and Hanmi, outside the submitted work. Dr. Connolly reports grants and personal fees from Bayer, Bristol Myers Squibb Pfizer, Portola, Daiichi Sankyo, and Medtronic, outside the submitted work. Dr. McIntyre is supported by a fellowship awards from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Canadian Stroke Prevention Intervention Network. He has received speaking fees from Bayer and Servier, outside the submitted work. The remaining authors have no disclosures to report.