Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Antiinflammatory Therapy with Canakinumab for Atherosclerotic Disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377 (Epub 2017/08/29. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1707914. PubMed PMID: 28845751): 1119-1131
- Efficacy and Safety of Low-Dose Colchicine after Myocardial Infarction.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381 (Epub 2019/11/17. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1912388. PubMed PMID: 31733140): 2497-2505
- Colchicine in Patients with Chronic Coronary Disease.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383 (Epub 2020/09/01. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2021372. PubMed PMID: 32865380): 1838-1847
- Cardiovascular effects and safety of long-term colchicine treatment: Cochrane review and meta-analysis.Heart. 2016; 102 (Epub 2016/02/03. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2015-308542. PubMed PMID: 26830663): 590-596
- The effects of tumour necrosis factor inhibitors, methotrexate, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and corticosteroids on cardiovascular events in rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2015; 74 (Epub 2015/01/07. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-206624. PubMed PMID: 25561362; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC4345910): 480-489
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Inflammation is being increasingly recognized as a major driver, and potential treatment target, of the atherosclerotic disease process. However, while great strides have been made in this area, more research is needed before anti-inflammatory medications become standard of care for patients with CAD. This paper reviews the current literature on this topic.
Kevin Boczar has no disclosures. Rob Beanlands has received honoraria for advisory board activity, with- and is PI or site-PI for research grants from JubilantDraxImage, Lantheus Medical Imaging and GEHealthCare. None of these are considered to pose a conflict of interest for this work.
This review was not supported by any direct funding source. Kevin Boczar is supported by a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Fellowship Award (FRN: 171284). Rob Beanlands is supported as a Distinguished Research Chair in Cardiovascular Imaging by the Faculty of Medicine University of Ottawa and the Division of Cardiology, University of Ottawa Heart Institute.