Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term outcomes of patent foramen ovale closure or medical therapy after stroke.New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 377: 1022-1032
- Patent foramen ovale closure or anticoagulation vs. antiplatelets after stroke.New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 377: 1011-1021
- Patent foramen ovale closure or antiplatelet therapy for cryptogenic stroke.New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 377: 1033-1042
- Cryptogenic stroke and high-risk patent foramen ovale: the DEFENSE-PFO trial.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2018; 71: 2335-2342
- Guidelines for the use of echocardiography in the evaluation of a cardiac source of embolism.Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. 2016; 29: 1-42
- Preventive health care, 1999 update: 2. Echocardiography for the detection of a cardiac source of embolus in patients with stroke.Cmaj. 1999; 161: 989-996
- Transesophageal echocardiography is superior to transthoracic echocardiography in management of patients of any age with transient ischemic attack or stroke.Stroke. 2006; 37: 2531-2534
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.Bmj. 2021; : 372
Macaskill P, Gatsonis C, Deeks JJ, Harbord RM, Takwoingi Y. Chapter 10: Analysing and Presenting Results. In: Deeks JJ, Bossuyt PM, Gatsonis C (editors), Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Diagnostic Test Accuracy Version 1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2010. http://srdta.cochrane.org/.
- QUADAS-2: a revised tool for the quality assessment of diagnostic accuracy studies.Annals of internal medicine. 2011; 155: 529-536
- Comparison of transcranial Doppler ultrasound and transesophageal contrast echocardiography in the detection of interatrial right-to-left shunts.The American journal of cardiology. 1991; 68: 1498-1502
- Comparison of transesophageal and transthoracic contrast echocardiography for detection of a patent foramen ovale.The American journal of cardiology. 1991; 68: 1247-1249
- Detection of patent foramen ovale by contrast transesophageal echocardiography.Chest. 1992; 101: 1515-1520
- Transesophageal contrast echocardiography and color flow mapping: methods of choice for the detection of shunts at the atrial level?.American heart journal. 1992; 124: 1545-1550
- Diagnosis of patent foramen ovale by transesophageal echocardiography and association with cerebral and peripheral embolic events.The American journal of cardiology. 1992; 70: 668-672
- Comparison of diagnostic techniques for the detection of a patent foramen ovale in stroke patients.Stroke. 1993; 24: 1020-1024
- Comparison of transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography with contrast and color flow Doppler in the detection of patent foramen ovale.American heart journal. 1994; 128: 520-525
- Transthoracic echocardiography using second harmonic imaging: diagnostic alternative to transesophageal echocardiography for the detection of atrial right to left shunt in patients with cerebral embolic events.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 1999; 34: 1823-1830
- Transmitral Doppler: a new transthoracic contrast method for patent foramen ovale detection and quantification.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2000; 36: 1959-1966
- Transcranial Doppler ultrasonography as a screening technique for detection of a patent foramen ovale before surgery in the sitting position.The Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. 2000; 93: 971-975
- Comparison of transthoracic echocardiography with second harmonic imaging with transesophageal echocardiography in the detection of right to left shunts.American Journal of Cardiology. 2000; 86: 1284-1287
- Enhanced detection of right-to-left shunt through patent foramen ovale by transthoracic contrast echocardiography using harmonic imaging.American Journal of Cardiology. 2001; 87: 669-671
- Agitated saline versus polygelatine for the echocardiographic assessment of patent foramen ovale.Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. 2004; 17: 1059-1065
- Transthoracic echocardiography using second harmonic imaging with Valsalva manoeuvre for the detection of right to left shunts.European Journal of Echocardiography. 2004; 5: 176-181
- Second harmonic transthoracic echocardiography: the new reference screening method for the detection of patent foramen ovale.European journal of echocardiography. 2004; 5: 449-452
- Harmonic imaging improves sensitivity at the expense of specificity in the detection of patent foramen ovale.Echocardiography. 2004; 21: 33-36
- Comparison of transthoracic versus transesophageal echocardiography for detection of right-to-left atrial shunting using agitated saline contrast.The American journal of cardiology. 2005; 96: 1007-1010
- Comparison of transthoracic echocardiography using second harmonic imaging, transcranial Doppler and transesophageal echocardiography for the detection of patent foramen ovale in stroke patients.European Journal of Echocardiography. 2006; 7: 147-154
- Optimization of patent foramen ovale detection by contrast transthoracic echocardiography using second harmonic imaging.Archives of cardiovascular diseases. 2008; 101: 213-219
- Failure of digital echocardiography to accurately diagnose intracardiac shunts.American heart journal. 2008; 155: 161-165
- Patent foramen ovale: comparison among diagnostic strategies in cryptogenic stroke and migraine.Echocardiography. 2009; 26: 495-503
- Transthoracic second harmonic two-and three-dimensional echocardiography for detection of patent foramen ovale.European Journal of Echocardiography. 2010; 11: 57-63
- Head-to-head comparison of real-time three-dimensional transthoracic echocardiography with transthoracic and transesophageal two-dimensional contrast echocardiography for the detection of patent foramen ovale.European Journal of Echocardiography. 2010; 11: 245-249
- Diagnosing a patent foramen ovale in children: is transesophageal echocardiography necessary?.Stroke. 2011; 42: 98-101
- Enhanced detection of patent foramen ovale by systematic transthoracic saline contrast echocardiography.International journal of cardiology. 2011; 152: 24-27
- Detection of right-to-left atrial communication using agitated saline contrast imaging: experience with 1162 patients and recommendations for echocardiography.Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. 2013; 26: 96-102
- Determination of the optimum number of cardiac cycles to differentiate intra‐pulmonary shunt and patent foramen ovale by saline contrast two‐and three‐dimensional echocardiography.Echocardiography. 2014; 31: 293-301
- Transthoracic contrast echocardiography using vitamin B6 and sodium bicarbonate as contrast agents for the diagnosis of patent foramen ovale.The international journal of cardiovascular imaging. 2017; 33: 1125-1131
- Comparison of different contrast agents in detecting cardiac right-to-left shunt in patients with a patent foramen ovale during contrast-transthoracic echocardiography.BioMed Research International. 2017; 2017
- Contrast transthoracic echocardiography using 50% glucose as a contrast agent for screening of a patent foramen ovale.Ultrasound in medicine & biology. 2018; 44: 2267-2273
- Modified method of contrast transthoracic echocardiography for the diagnosis of patent foramen ovale.BioMed research international. 2019; 2019
- Echocardiographic diagnosis of right-to-left shunt using transoesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography.Open Heart. 2020; 7e001150
- Importance of abdominal compression Valsalva maneuver and microbubble grading in contrast transthoracic echocardiography for detecting patent foramen ovale.Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. 2020; 33: 201-206
Yang, J, Zhang H, Wang Y, et al. The Efficacy of Contrast Transthoracic Echocardiography and Contrast Transcranial Doppler for the Detection of Patent Foramen Ovale Related to Cryptogenic Stroke. BioMed research international. 2020; 2020.
- Practice advisory update summary: Patent foramen ovale and secondary stroke prevention: Report of the Guideline Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology.Neurology. 2020; 94: 876-885
- Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations: Secondary Prevention of Stroke Update 2020.Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. 2021; : 1-69
- Contrast echocardiographic visualization of cough-induced right to left shunt through a patent foramen ovale.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 1984; 4: 587-594
- Meta-analytic methods for diagnostic test accuracy.Journal of clinical epidemiology. 1995; 48: 119-130
- Asymmetric funnel plots and publication bias in meta-analyses of diagnostic accuracy.International journal of epidemiology. 2002; 31: 88-95
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This meta-analysis assessed the diagnostic accuracy of transthoracic echocardiography with contrast (TTE-C) for detection of right-to-left shunt (RLS) compared with transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) as the reference standard. There were 35 studies and 4209 patients included for analysis. Overall, TTE-C had a sensitivity of 73% and specificity of 94% for diagnosis of RLS. Diagnostic accuracy of TTE-C was higher in more recent studies and those that specified use of harmonic imaging. Use of positional maneuvers improved the sensitivity of TTE-C.
This paper was not funded.
There were no potential conflicts of interest.