Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The worldwide environment of cardiovascular disease: prevalence, diagnosis, therapy, and policy issues: a report from the American College of Cardiology.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012; 60: S1-S49
- Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.The Lancet (British edition). 2015; 385: 117-171
- Global and regional patterns in cardiovascular mortality from 1990 to 2013.Circulation. 2015; 132: 1667-1678
- Prediction of lifetime risk for cardiovascular disease by risk factor burden at 50 years of age.Circulation. 2006; 113: 791-798
- Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in young individuals.Nature Reviews Cardiology. 2018; 15: 230-240
- Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults.New England journal of medicine. 1998; 338: 1650-1656
- Advancing Sex and Gender Considerations in Perioperative Cardiovascular-Risk Assessment.Can J Cardiol. 2021; 37: 1912-1914
- Sex, Gender, and Cardiovascular Health in Canadian and Austrian Populations.Can J Cardiol. 2021; 37: 1240-1247
- The importance of gender to understand sex differences in cardiovascular disease.Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2021; 37: 699-710
- Sex and race differences in the pathophysiology, diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes of valvular heart diseases.Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2021; 37: 980-991
- Sex/gender differences in cardiovascular disease prevention: what a difference a decade makes.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2145-2154
- Contribution of trends in survival and coronar y-event rates to changes in coronary heart disease mortality: 10-year results from 37 WHO MONICA Project populations.The Lancet. 1999; 353: 1547-1557
- Gender differences in cardiovascular disease: hormonal and biochemical influences.Reproductive sciences. 2010; 17: 511-531
- Protective and damaging effects of mediators of stress: elaborating and testing the concepts of allostasis and allostatic load.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1999; 896: 30-47
Chu B, Marwaha K, Sanvictores T, Ayers D. Physiology, stress reaction. StatPearls [Internet]: StatPearls Publishing; 2021.
- Allostatic Load and Mortality: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2022;
- Stress: Influence of sex, reproductive status and gender.Neurobiology of stress. 2019; 10100155
- Stress and the individual: Mechanisms leading to disease.Archives of internal medicine. 1993; 153: 2093-2101
- Health risk behaviours and allostatic load: A systematic review.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2020; 108: 694-711
- Protective and damaging effects of mediators of stress. Elaborating and testing the concepts of allostasis and allostatic load.Annals of the New York Academy of Science. 1999; 896: 30-47
- Price of adaptation - allostatic load and its health consequences.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 2259-2268
- Allostatic load biomarkers of chronic stress and impact on health and cognition.Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 2010; 35: 2-16
- Allostatic load as a marker of cumulative biological risk: MacArthur studies of successful aging.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 4770-4775
- Allostatic load as a predictor of functional decline. MacArthur studies of successful aging.J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 696-710
- The Future of Sex and Gender in Psychology: Five Challenges to the Gender Binary.American Psychologist. 2019; 74: 171-193
Breiman L, Friedman JH, Olshen RA, Stone CJ. Classification and regression trees. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. International Group. 1984;432:9.
- A community study of depression treatment and employment earnings.Psychiatr Serv. 1999; 50: 1209-1213
Manton KG, Woodbury MA, Tolley HD. Statistical applications using fuzzy sets: Wiley-Interscience; 1994.
Aldenderfer M, Blashfield R. Cluster analysis sage publications. Newbury Park, Cal. 1984.
Goertzel BN, Pennachin C, de Souza Coelho L, Maloney EM, Jones JF, Gurbaxani B. Allostatic load is associated with symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome patients. 2006.
Koza JR. Genetic programming II: automatic discovery of reusable programs: MIT press; 1994.
Mooney CZ, Mooney CF, Mooney CL, Duval RD, Duvall R. Bootstrapping: A nonparametric approach to statistical inference: sage; 1993.
Thompson B. Canonical correlation analysis: Uses and interpretation: Sage; 1984.
- Allostatic load scoring using item response theory.Compr Psychoneuroendocrinol. 2021; 5100025
- Importance of sex and gender in atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease.atherosclerosis. 2015; 241: 208-210
Currie G, Delles C. Precision medicine and personalized medicine in cardiovascular disease. Sex-Specific Analysis of Cardiovascular Function. 2018:589-605.
- Sex, age, cardiovascular risk factors, and coronary heart disease: a prospective follow-up study of 14 786 middle-aged men and women in Finland.Circulation. 1999; 99: 1165-1172
- Impact of sex on cardiovascular outcome in patients at high cardiovascular risk: analysis of the telmisartan randomized assessment study in ACE-intolerant subjects with cardiovascular disease (TRANSCEND) and the ongoing telmisartan alone and in combination with ramipril global end point trial (ONTARGET).Circulation. 2012; 126: 934-941
- Inheritance of coronary artery disease in men: an analysis of the role of the Y chromosome.The Lancet. 2012; 379: 915-922
- Menopause transition and cardiovascular disease risk: implications for timing of early prevention: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 142: e506-e532
- Cardiovascular risk in perimenopausal women.Current Vascular Pharmacology. 2019; 17: 591-594
- Endogenous sex hormones and incident cardiovascular disease in post-menopausal women.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2018; 71: 2555-2566
- A comprehensive view of sex-specific issues related to cardiovascular disease.Cmaj. 2007; 176: S1-S44
- Cardiovascular disease and the female disadvantage.International journal of environmental research and public health. 2019; 16: 1165
- Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study.The lancet. 2004; 364: 937-952
- Sex differences in cardiovascular risk factors and disease prevention.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 241: 211-218
- Chin-Dusting JP. Y chromosome, hypertension and cardiovascular disease: is inflammation the answer?.International journal of molecular sciences. 2019; 20: 2892
- Sex differences in gene expression and regulatory networks across 29 human tissues.Cell reports. 2020; 31107795
- Gender differences in fat metabolism.Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care. 2001; 4: 499-502
- Sex differences in human adipose tissues–the biology of pear shape.Biology of sex differences. 2012; 3: 1-12
- Shaping fat distribution: New insights into the molecular determinants of depot‐and sex‐dependent adipose biology.Obesity. 2015; 23: 1345-1352
Matsuzawa Y, Funahashi T, Nakamura T. The concept of metabolic syndrome: contribution of visceral fat accumulation and its molecular mechanism. Journal of atherosclerosis and thrombosis. 2011:1107070401-1107070401.
- The Change in the Percent of Android and Gynoid Fat Mass Correlated with Increased Testosterone After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in Chinese Obese Men: a 6-Month Follow-Up.Obes Surg. 2018; 28: 1960-1965
- Effects of hormone replacement therapy on weight, abdominal fat distribution, and lipid levels in Japanese postmenopausal women.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 1044-1051
- Epidemiology of gender differences in diabetes and obesity.Sex and gender factors affecting metabolic homeostasis, diabetes and obesity. 2017; : 3-8
- Gender differences in glucose homeostasis and diabetes.Physiology & behavior. 2018; 187: 20-23
Contreras-Zentella ML, Hernandez-Munoz R. Possible Gender Influence in the Mechanisms Underlying the Oxidative Stress, Inflammatory Response, and the Metabolic Alterations in Patients with Obesity and/or Type 2 Diabetes. Antioxidants (Basel). 2021;10.
- Cardiovascular risk in women with diabetes.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010; 20: 474-480
- Gender Differences in Hypertension.J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2020; 13: 47-54
- Sex-specific differences in hypertension and associated cardiovascular disease.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2018; 14: 185-201
- Gender differences in the regulation of blood pressure.Hypertension. 2001; 37: 1199-1208
- Sex Differences in Hypertension: Recent Advances.Hypertension. 2016; 68: 1322-1327
- Sex differences in obesity, lipid metabolism, and inflammation-A role for the sex chromosomes?.Mol Metab. 2018; 15: 35-44
- Dyslipidemia in menopause: mechanisms and management.Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2006; 61: 608-613
- Metabolic disorders in menopause.Prz Menopauzalny. 2015; 14: 59-64
- Cardiovascular disease and dyslipidemia in women.Arch Intern Med. 2001; 161: 514-522
- Lipid-Lowering Therapies: Risks in Women and Evidence-Based Options.Tex Heart Inst J. 2018; 45: 238-239
Fairweather D. Sex differences in inflammation during atherosclerosis. Clinical Medicine Insights: Cardiology. 2014;8:CMC. S17068.
Santosa A, Rosengren A, Ramasundarahettige C, et al. Psychosocial risk factors and cardiovascular disease and death in a population-based cohort from 21 low-, middle-, and high-income countries. JAMA network open. 2021;4:e2138920-e2138920.
- Higher comorbidity of depression and cardiovascular disease in women: a biopsychosocial perspective.World J Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 11: 922-933
- Psychosocial stress and cardiovascular disease.Current treatment options in cardiovascular medicine. 2019; 21: 1-17
- Disentangling the links between psychosocial stress and cardiovascular disease.Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2020; 13e010931
- Chronic stress and endothelial dysfunction: mechanisms, experimental challenges, and the way ahead.American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2020; 319: H488-H506
- Hypertension linked to allostatic load: from psychosocial stress to inflammation and mitochondrial dysfunction.Stress. 2019; 22: 169-181
- Prediction of cardiovascular risk using soluble cell adhesion molecules.European heart journal. 2002; 23: 1569-1574
- Macrophages in atherosclerosis: a dynamic balance.Nature Reviews Immunology. 2013; 13: 709-721
- The expression of the adhesion molecules ICAM‐1, VCAM‐1, PECAM, and E‐selectin in human atherosclerosis.The Journal of pathology. 1993; 171: 223-229
- Allostasis and allostatic load: expanding the discourse on stress and cardiovascular disease.Journal of clinical nursing. 2008; 17: 201-208
- Price of adaptation--allostatic load and its health consequences. MacArthur studies of successful aging.Arch Intern Med. 1997; 157: 2259-2268
- Allostatic Load and Its Impact on Health: A Systematic Review.Psychother Psychosom. 2021; 90: 11-27
- Social relationships and allostatic load in the MIDUS study.Health Psychol. 2014; 33: 1373-1381
- Purpose in life predicts allostatic load ten years later.J Psychosom Res. 2015; 79: 451-457
- Heart rate variability triangular index as a predictor of cardiovascular mortality in patients with atrial fibrillation.Journal of the American Heart Association. 2020; 9e016075
- Sex differences in healthy human heart rate variability: A meta-analysis.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2016; 64: 288-310
- Changing complexity in human behavior and physiology through aging and disease.Neurobiology of aging. 2002; 23: 1-11
- Doppler echocardiography: A contemporary review.Journal of Cardiology. 2009; 54: 347-358
- A transdisciplinary perspective of chronic stress in relation to psychopathology throughout life span development.Dev Psychopathol. 2011; 23: 725-776
- Sex Differences and Gender Diversity in Stress Responses and Allostatic Load Among Workers and LGBT People.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2019; 21: 110
- Gender differences in stress response: Role of developmental and biological determinants.Ind Psychiatry J. 2011; 20: 4-10
- Sex differences in stress-related psychiatric disorders: neurobiological perspectives.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2014; 35: 303-319
- Gender roles and traits in stress and health.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 779
- Temperament and personality: origins and outcomes.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2000; 78: 122-135
- Traditional Masculinity and Femininity: Validation of a New Scale Assessing Gender Roles.Front Psychol. 2016; 7: 956
- Cognitive theories of early gender development.Psychol Bull. 2002; 128: 903-933
- Schema change without schema therapy: the role of early maladaptive schemata for a successful treatment of major depression.Psychiatry. 2013; 76: 1-17
- The role of sex and gender socialization in stress reactivity.Developmental psychology. 2009; 45: 45
- Personality and gender differences in global perspective.International Journal of Psychology. 2017; 52: 45-56
- Androgyny and gender schema theory: a conceptual and empirical integration.Nebr Symp Motiv. 1984; 32: 179-226
- Stress and personality.Psychiatriki. 2011; 22: 290-297
- A new look at the schema therapy model: organization and role of early maladaptive schemas.Cogn Behav Ther. 2018; 47: 328-349
- Sex differences in stress responses: social rejection versus achievement stress.Biological psychiatry. 2002; 52: 318-327
- Unwanted identities: A key variable in shame–anger links and gender differences in shame.Sex Roles. 2000; 42: 133-157
Zwicker A, DeLongis A. Gender, stress, and coping. Handbook of gender research in psychology: Springer; 2010:495-515.
- Biobehavioral responses to stress in females: tend-and-befriend, not fight-or-flight.Psychological review. 2000; 107: 411-429
- Allostatic load of men and women in early middle age.Journal of Individual Differences. 2005; 26: 20-28
- Allostatic load and women’s brain health: A systematic review.Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology. 2020; 59100858
- The association between chronic stress type and C-reactive protein in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis: does gender make a difference?.Journal of behavioral medicine. 2012; 35: 74-85
- Current trends in the study of gender norms and health behaviors.Current opinion in psychology. 2015; 5: 72-77
- Constructions of masculinity and their influence on men's well-being: a theory of gender and health.Social science & medicine. 2000; 50: 1385-1401
- The impact of gender roles on health.Women & health. 2012; 52: 182-196
- College alcohol use and the embodiment of hegemonic masculinity among European American men.Sex roles. 2007; 56: 741-756
- Men, meat, and marriage: Models of masculinity.Food and foodways. 2005; 13: 135-158
Etienne CF. Addressing masculinity and men's health to advance universal health and gender equality. Vol 42: SciELO Public Health; 2019:e196.
- Where’s the beef? How masculinity exacerbates gender disparities in health behaviors.Socius. 2019; 52378023119831801
- Time to tackle the physical activity gender gap.Health (Irvine. Calif). 2018; 6: e1077-1086
- Male and female differences in health benefits derived from physical activity: implications for exercise prescription.Journal of Women's Health, Issues and Care. 2016; 5
- The influence of a Healthy Welcoming Environment on participation in club sport by adolescent girls: a longitudinal study.BMC sports science, medicine and rehabilitation. 2017; 9: 1-9
WHO. WHO global report on trends in prevalence of tobacco smoking 2000-2025, 20192021.
- Women and tobacco: a call for including gender in tobacco control research, policy and practice.Tobacco control. 2012; 21: 236-243
- Association between ovarian hormones and smoking behavior in women.Experimental and clinical psychopharmacology. 2012; 20: 251
- The association between gender roles and smoking initiation among women and adolescent girls.Journal of gender studies. 2020; 29: 664-684
- Tobacco use and cessation among women: research and treatment-related issues.Journal of Women's Health. 2011; 20: 349-357
- Allostatic load as a tool for monitoring physiological dysregulations and comorbidities in patients with severe mental illnesses.Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 296-313
- Allostatic load and systemic comorbidities in psychiatric disorders.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2022; 140105726
- Allostasis and allostatic load: implications for neuropsychopharmacology.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2000; 22: 108-124
- Allostatic load is associated with psychotic symptoms and decreases with antipsychotic treatment in patients with schizophrenia and first-episode psychosis.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2018; 90: 35-42
- Pre-treatment allostatic load and metabolic dysregulation predict SSRI response in major depressive disorder: a preliminary report.Psychol Med. 2020; : 1-9
- Rx risk or resistance? Psychotropic medication use in relation to physiological and psychosocial functioning of psychiatric hospital workers.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2020; 115104634
- State of the Science in Women's Cardiovascular Disease: A Canadian Perspective on the Influence of Sex and Gender.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e015634
- Biological sex themed section: incorporating the female dimension into cardiovascular pharmacology.Br J Pharmacol. 2014; 171: 537-540
- Biological costs and benefits of social relationships for men and women in adulthood: The role of partner.family and friends. 2022; 44: 5-24
Wiley JF, Bei B, Bower JE, Stanton ALJPm. Relationship of psychosocial resources with allostatic load: a systematic review. 2017;79:283.
Slopen N, Chen Y, Priest N, Albert MA, Williams DRJPM. Emotional and instrumental support during childhood and biological dysregulation in midlife. 2016;84:90-96.
Carroll JE, Gruenewald TL, Taylor SE, Janicki-Deverts D, Matthews KA, Seeman TEJPotNAoS. Childhood abuse, parental warmth, and adult multisystem biological risk in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults study. 2013;110:17149-17153.
Ungar N, Michalowski VI, Baehring S, et al. Joint Goals in Older Couples: Associations With Goal Progress, Allostatic Load, and Relationship Satisfaction. 2021;12.
Seeman T, Glei D, Goldman N, et al. Social relationships and allostatic load in Taiwanese elderly and near elderly. 2004;59:2245-2257.
Grundy E, Tomassini CJBph. Marital history, health and mortality among older men and women in England and Wales. 2010;10:1-14.
Chiu C-J, Lin Y-CJAog, geriatrics. Spousal health and older adults’ biomarker change over six years: Investigation of gender differences. 2019;83:44-49.
Seeman TE, Gruenewald TL, Cohen S, Williams DR, Matthews KAJP. Social relationships and their biological correlates: Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study. 2014;43:126-138.
- The measurement of psychological androgyny.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1974; 42: 155-162
Spence JT, Helmreich, R., Stapp, J. Personal attributes questionnaire: A measure of sex role stereotypes and masculinity-feminity. JSAS Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology. Vol 41974:127-142.
- Sex-Role Identity and Its Relationships to Sex-Role Attributes and Sex-Role Stereotypes.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1979; 37: 1779-1789
- The measure of the masculinity–femininity construct today: Some reflections on the case of the Bem Sex Role Inventory.International Journal of Social Psychology. 2014; 29: 180-207
Medicine NAoSEa. Measuring Sex, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation, Measuring Sex, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press; 2022.
- Sex-related differences in access to care among patients with premature acute coronary syndrome.CMAJ. 2014; 186: 497-504
- A Composite Measure of Gender and Its Association With Risk Factors in Patients With Premature Acute Coronary Syndrome.Psychosom Med. 2015;
- Sex Versus Gender-Related Characteristics: Which Predicts Outcome After Acute Coronary Syndrome in the Young?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 127-135
- Sex and Gender Roles in Relation to Mental Health and Allostatic Load.Psychosom Med. 2016; 78: 788-804
- Sex× Gender and sexual orientation in relation to stress hormones and allostatic load.Gender and the Genome. 2019; 32470289719862555
- Biocultural approaches to transgender and gender diverse experience and health: Integrating biomarkers and advancing gender/sex research.Am J Hum Biol. 2021; 33e23555
- Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence.Psychological bulletin. 2003; 129: 674
- How does sexual minority stigma “get under the skin”? A psychological mediation framework.Psychological bulletin. 2009; 135: 707
Meyer IH. Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: Conceptual issues and research evidence. 2013.
- Chronic physiologic effects of stress among lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Psychosomatic medicine. 2018; 80: 551
Louden E. The association of sexual orientation with allostatic load and cardiovascular health: An analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), The Ohio State University; 2020.
Jabson JM, Farmer GW, Bowen D. DOES STRESS MEDIATE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND BEHAVIORAL RISK DISPARITIES? ANNALS OF BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE. Vol 47: SPRINGER 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA; 2014:S47-S47.
- Lived experience and allostatic load among transmasculine people living in the United States.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2022; 143105849
- Racial and ethnic patterns of allostatic load among adult women in the United States: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2004.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011; 20: 575-583
- Weathering" and age patterns of allostatic load scores among blacks and whites in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 826-833
- Allostatic load among non-Hispanic Whites, non-Hispanic Blacks, and people of Mexican origin: effects of ethnicity, nativity, and acculturation.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 940-946
- Advancing health equity by integrating intersectionality into epidemiological research: applications and challenges.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2020; 74: 761-762
- Intersectionality and health-related stigma: insights from experiences of people living with stigmatized health conditions in Indonesia.Int J Equity Health. 2020; 19: 206
- The weathering hypothesis and the health of African-American women and infants: evidence and speculations.Ethn Dis. 1992; 2: 207-221
- Intraindividual Variability in Late-Life Functional Limitations Among White, Black, and Hispanic Older Adults.Res Aging. 2017; 39: 549-572
Link BG, Phelan J. Social conditions as fundamental causes of disease. J Health Soc Behav. 1995;Spec No:80-94.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Acknowledgments: None to declare
Conflicts of Interest: Authors have no disclosures to report
Funding Statement: R.P. Juster holds a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Sex and Gender Science Chair and receives early career salary support from the Fonds de recherche Santé Québec.
Brief summary for the electronic table of contents: Cardiovascular diseases are leading causes of mortality worldwide. Stress plays an important role in the relationship between sex/gender and cardiovascular diseases. Chronic stress and psychosocial factors might contribute more to the mechanism driving cardiovascular disease in women, while biological risk factors and maladaptive health-related behaviors might be more important in men. It is important to study the mechanisms in which sex and gender interact to influence stress physiology, because many gender-related factors are modifiable targets for cardiovascular disease prevention.