Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Canadian Journal of Cardiology
- The athlete's heart.Heart. 2012 Jun; 98: 947-955https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2011-301329
- Thoracic Aortic Dilation: Implications for Physical Activity and Sport Participation.Diagnostics (Basel). 2022 Jun 4; 12: 1392https://doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics12061392
- A meta-analysis of aortic root size in elite athletes.Circulation. 2013 Feb 19; 127: 791-798https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.000974
Pelliccia A, Sharma S, Gati S, Bäck M, Börjesson M, Caselli S, Collet JP, Corrado D, Drezner JA, Halle M, Hansen D, Heidbuchel H, Myers J, Niebauer J, Papadakis M, Piepoli MF, Prescott E, Roos-Hesselink JW, Graham Stuart A, Taylor RS, Thompson PD, Tiberi M, Vanhees L, Wilhelm M; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2020 ESC Guidelines on sports cardiology and exercise in patients with cardiovascular disease. Eur Heart J. 2021 Jan 1;42(1):17-96. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa605. Erratum in: Eur Heart J. 2021 Feb 1;42(5):548-549.
- Prevalence and clinical significance of aortic root dilation in highly trained competitive athletes.Circulation. 2010 Aug 17; 122 (3 p following 706): 698-706https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.901074
- Reference Values of Aortic Root in Male and Female White Elite Athletes According to Sport.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 Oct; 9e005292https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.116.005292
- Normal values of aortic root dimensions in healthy adults.Am J Cardiol. 2014 Sep 15; 114: 921-927https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2014.06.028
- Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015 Jan; 28: 1-39.e14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2014.10.003
- Multimodality imaging of diseases of the thoracic aorta in adults: from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging: endorsed by the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography and Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015 Feb; 28: 119-182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2014.11.015
- Normal Values and Differences in Ascending Aortic Diameter in a Healthy Population of Adults as Measured by the Pediatric versus Adult American Society of Echocardiography Guidelines.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2016 Feb; 29: 166-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2015.09.010
- Aorta dimensions: It is not a single player game.Int J Cardiol. 2019 Feb 1; 276 (Epub 2018 Oct 17. PMID: 30355457): 236-237https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2018.10.056
- Intermodality variation of aortic dimensions: How, where and when to measure the ascending aorta.Int J Cardiol. 2019 Feb 1; 276: 230-235https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2018.08.067
De Paepe A, Devereux RB, Dietz HC, Hennekam RC, Pyeritz RE. Revised diagnostic criteria for the Marfan syndrome. Am J Med Genet. 1996 Apr 24;62(4):417-426. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19960424)62:4<417::AID-AJMG15>3.0.CO;2-R.
- The Heart Muscle and Valve Involvement in Marfan Syndrome, Loeys-Dietz Syndromes, and Collagenopathies.Heart Fail Clin. 2022 Jan; 18: 165-175https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hfc.2021.07.007
- Aortic root dimensions in elite athletes.Am J Cardiol. 2010 Jun 1; 105: 1629-1634https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2010.01.028
- Prevalence and progression of aortic root dilatation in highly trained young athletes.Heart. 2019 Jun; 105: 920-925https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2018-314288
- Weight lifting and rupture of silent aortic aneurysms.JAMA. 2003 Dec 3; 290: 2803https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.21.2803
- Weight lifting and aortic dissection: more evidence for a connection.Cardiology. 2007; 107: 103-106https://doi.org/10.1159/000094530
- Aortic dissection and sport: physiologic and clinical understanding provide an opportunity to save young lives.J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2010 Oct; 51: 669-681
- Arterial blood pressure response to rowing.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1994 Jun; 26: 715-719https://doi.org/10.1249/00005768-199406000-00010
- Association of Ascending Aortic Dilatation and Long-term Endurance Exercise Among Older Masters-Level Athletes.JAMA Cardiol. 2020 May 1; 5: 522-531https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2020.0054
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Editorial Commentary on: Aortic root diameter in highly-trained competitive athletesCanadian Journal of Cardiology
- PreviewDo elite athletes have larger ascending aortas than a control population? That is the question that this study seeks to answer. It is well known that the muscular chambers of the heart (right atrium, left atrium, right ventricle, left ventricle) mold themselves in response to pressure and/or volume loads. But, is the aorta capable of similar plasticity?